Joshua's Instant Breakfast
(This is not an actual picture of the recipe below.)
Prep Time: 2-5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Yields: 3-4 servings
~ 3 cups water
~ 1 cup millet or quinoa
This morning recipe is quick and easy, with enough protein to get you through to lunch. If you get it started first thing in the morning, by the time you are dressed, it's ready to eat. Flavor it differently for each meal. Put the leftovers into a loaf pan or shallow dish to cool and cut into slices for dinner or tomorrow's lunch.
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
2. In the meantime, wash 1 cup of millet or quinoa. Be sure to wash well: millet and quinoa can be bitter and dusty.
3. Add to boiling water.
4. Reduce heat to a light boil and simmer for 20 minutes. No salt needed.
1. You can flavor this and all porridges by mixing and matching any of the following ingredients:
2. During cooking: squash, carrots, raisins, almonds, sesame seeds.
3. After cooking: powdered ginger, gomasio, tamari, milk substitute, sweetener.
For a "minute breakfast" make extra grains at night. In the morning, boil 1/2 inch of water, add some grains and reheat for 1-2 minutes. Add your favorite flavorings.
Credit: This recipe is from Integrative Nutrition.